This Middle-Eastern inspired chicken with cumin dish is perfect for nights when you want something quick, healthy, and full of flavour. Chicken, lemon and tahini are a pretty standard combination, but the seared cumin and burnt onions add a welcome smokiness to the dish, while chili flakes and crushed pistachios bring a little oomph and just the right amount of crunch!
For those of you not in the know (or maybe just not residents of Toronto) – Taste of Toronto is an annual food festival where chefs and restaurants showcase their skills and offerings via food stalls. And though the event is still in its infancy compared to its sister events in Europe and the United Kingdom, Taste of Toronto 2016 had a smattering of delicious offerings, as well as cooking demonstrations and hands-on classes!
Thanks to the lovely people at Metro Ontario, I was fortunate enough to be in front row of the Metro Master Class taught by Celebrity Chef Mike Ward – Food Editor-in-Chief at Canadian Living magazine, self-described hypothetical love child of Anthony Bourdain and Martha Stewart, and all-around chill fella who likes to cook good food.
Chef Mike shared his Chicken with Cumin, Tahini, Lemon and Burnt Onions recipe with those of us in his class. Today, I’m recreating the dish for you, giving you some measurements and quantities to work with based on how I personally like to cook it (so adjust if you need to, Bestie), and telling you to enjoy the summer by cooking this meal for some of your best friends.
Metro Ontario were also kind enough to give me a gift bag full of tasty goodies – if you’re interested in learning more about that, head on over to my Instagram where’ve I’ve put up a few candid photos.
If you happened to enjoy this chicken with cumin recipe, or are looking for quick, easy, and delicious dinner recipes, check out this Lemon Fettuccine with Garlic Shrimps recipe. It’s a perfect summer dish!
And… that’s all for today folks! If you have any awesome recipes using cumin – chicken, or otherwise – let me know in the comments below, or just comment to say hi. Because it’s been far too long since we’ve said hi to each other. (Hello Bestie, I’ve missed you!) And just in case you’ve forgotten where to find me, make sure to Like me on Facebook, Follow me on Instagram, and Twitter… or just cut out all the middlemen, and subscribe to my Email List using the link in the sidebar (or the one at the bottom right of the page, whatever your fancy!).
This Middle-Eastern inspired chicken with cumin dish is perfect for nights when you want something quick, healthy, and full of flavour!
- 1 Large Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 4 tbsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Lemon
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ cup of Pistachios, chopped/crushed
- Parsley, chopped
- Chilli flakes, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Oil , for cooking
- In a medium-hot pan, add onions with a tiny amount of oil. Season with a little salt and pepper. Allow the onions to cook until the edges singe.
- Butterfly chicken breasts (that is, slice it horizontally so that they’re half the thickness… but still in one piece), cover with cling film, and bash with a rolling pin (or the bottom of a cold pan) to flatten – until about ½ inch thick. Season one side of each chicken breast with 2tbsp of cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Season the other side with salt and pepper.
- Mix tahini and olive oil together to form a sauce.
- Cook chicken over a medium heat until golden and cooked through. About 3-5 minutes per side. (Ideally cook the cumin side first.)
- Plate chicken cumin side up. Zest ¼ lemon onto each chicken, followed by a squeeze of lemon juice. Drizzle over the tahini/olive oil mixture. Add chilli flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. And garnish with a sprinkling of parsley and chopped pistachios.
- Category: Lunch & Dinner
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: chicken with cumin, tahini, mike ward, chef mike ward, burnt onions, middle eastern chicken, tahini chicken,