Hey there bestie! This week I have a guest post for you. Deliciously creamy, and seductively easy Matcha Ice Cream. It’s by Catalin from Matcha Tea, who writes about all things matcha. And if you’re as in love as he is with matcha tea, you’ll find that this post is a matcha made in Heaven (…I’m hilarious. You know it’s true.) I’ve not personally tried out this recipe, but it sure does look delicious! A big thank you to Catalin for sharing this post!
Matcha Ice Cream
Many of us are aware of the great health benefits of matcha tea. It works wonders for the skin, hair, and the complete body. Also, unlike many other healthy ingredients, it’s quite versatile. Besides being used as just a herbal tea, it works as an amazing flavouring agent in a number of foods and beverages. Cafes, restaurants, and confectioners use it in their preparations and bakes.
Talking about bakes, you should really try Riz’s Raspberry Cheesecake-Stuffed Pound Cake. Don’t let the simplicity fool you. It tastes awesome!
I was dying to have some ice cream this week, so I experimented with some matcha. I’ve tried more recipes than you can imagine that involve matcha tea as a primary ingredient – cupcakes, iced teas, cakes, and smoothies. And I’ve loved almost all of them.
And behold the result:
A herbal ice cream made with matcha powder. I’m an ice cream junkie, and this one’s a perfect recipe for a summer treat.
The ice cream has a herbal sweetness, a prominent soothing green tea flavour, and looks refreshing because of its subtle green colour that comes from the powdered matcha.
Do you have any other great matcha recipes that you love? Share them in the comments below!
This is a guest post written without any compensation. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of Chocolates & Chai.Print
An easy breezy recipe for homemade Matcha Ice Cream!
- 2 tbsp (16 grams) Matcha Tea Powder
- 1 ½ cups (355ml) Whole Milk
- 1 tbsp (9 grams) Cornstarch
- 1 ¾ cups (414ml) Heavy Cream
- 2/3 cup (133 grams) Sugar
- Take a large bowl and fill with ice-cold water. In a separate small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of milk and cornstarch; set aside. Take a third bowl and add matcha powder and ½ cup cream. Whisk vigorously and set aside.
- Mix the remaining 1 ¼ cups cream with the remaining milk and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan. Place it over medium heat. Let it come to a low boil and cook until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove pan from heat. Slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture and return to boil. Cook on a medium heat for about a minute to slightly thicken.
- Slowly pour this hot mixture into the bowl of the matcha-cream mixture. Add salt. Keep the bowl in ice-cold water for around 20 minutes, whisking occasionally and letting it cool. Cover with a lid and refrigerate until chilled or overnight.
- Once chilled, pour into an ice cream maker and churn well. Transfer mixture to a freezer-safe container and freeze.
- Serve with white chocolate chips or fresh fruits like raspberries. To add some crunchiness, sprinkle finely grated almonds or other dry fruits.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Churning
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Matcha Ice Cream, Green Tea Ice Cream, homemade matcha ice cream