Honey mug cake is a sweet little treat that you can prepare at any time. I mean it, using pantry staples, and 5 minutes, this cake in a mug is a sweet treat that comes together without any fuss, in almost no time at all!
This sweet, gooey cake in a mug hits all the right place. Drizzle on a little extra honey to up that indulgence. Trust me, you’ll make this honey mug cake recipe more than once.
How to make honey mug cake?
Making cake in a mug is one of the simplest dessert options around. All you need to do is butter the mug (so your cake doesn’t stick to the sides), mix in your wet ingredients, then your dry ingredients, and microwave for just over a minute. Ta-da!
What does this mug cake taste like?
Honey mug cake is a soft, spongey cake that’s sweet (but not saccharine-sweet), and has the taste of, you guessed it, honey.
That said, it bears mentioning that though this mug cake is a delightful little treat, it’s not the same as a properly baked honey cake. It doesn’t have the same texture, or depth of flavour (no mug cake does. Please don’t listen to any marketer that claims otherwise!). What this does do however, is attempt to mimic that flavour and texture pretty darn well given the time, ingredients, and equipment. (Sweet!)
Easy topping variations
You can mix up the toppings you use for this honey mug cake pretty easily. More often than I not, I’ll have this mug cake without any other topping, or with a simple honey drizzle. Here are a few easy topping ideas, but honestly, you can add any number of things and it’ll still taste great!
- Honey drizzle
- Whipped cream
- Birthday sprinkles
- Vanilla Buttercream
Honey mug cake or really any type of cake in a mug doesn’t store well. I’d recommend eating straight away, and not storing for later (regardless of whether its room temperature, in a fridge, or in a freezer).
More yummy cake recipes for you to try
- 5-minute Chocolate Mug Cake
- Gooey Chocolate Meringue Cake
- Two Layer Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cocoa Buttercream Frosting
- Lemon Curd Cake with White Chocolate Swiss Buttercream
You really don’t need any fancy equipment to make this mug cake (except a microwave, but I’m assuming you have that), so just make sure to use a mug that happens to also be microwave-safe.
Have you ever tried a honey mug cake before? Or even just a honey cake? Let me know in the comments below.
Let’s ReminisceBuy me a coffee Print
Less than 5 minutes is all it takes to get this Honey Mug Cake ready to eat! Sweet, gooey, and hits all the right places, especially if you add on some extra honey.
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp honey (runny)
- 1 medium/large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp pastry flour
- A pinch of salt
- Butter, for greasing
- Butter the inside of the mug generously.
- In your mug, mix together the butter, honey, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the sugar, flour, and salt, and stir until fully combined.
- Microwave for 1 minutes 15 seconds (this number may vary slightly – check the notes below), and allow to cool slightly. Drizzle with more honey for extra sweetness. Enjoy as soon as it’s safe to eat!
- While this recipe is ideally made using pastry flour (aka cake flour), all purpose (with a pinch of baking soda) will work pretty well too.
- Depending on your microwave’s power, the time to cook this honey mug cake may vary slightly. If the mug cake hasn’t cooked, keep blasting it in 10-15 second intervals until ready.
- If you prefer to have the cake on a plate, this can be made in a bowl for easy unmolding. You can unmold the honey cake from the mug as well, but it’s sometimes a little tougher to do, depending on the the shape of the mug.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: honey mug cake, honey cake, honey cake in a mug