Fluffy Yogurt Pancakes are a bit tangy, a bit sweet, and incredibly light and airy for a delicious breakfast treat.
I’m always looking for new ways to elevate classic pancake recipes. Pancakes are a perfect vehicle to add flavor and texture to your breakfast or brunch spread. And today’s recipe for tangy and thick pancakes made with Greek yogurt is one of my new go-to recipes for when I’m looking for a light, fluffy, and filling breakfast.
This recipe makes a tall stack of the airiest, most satisfying pancakes you’ve tried. They’re delicious on their own. But they also make a tasty blank canvas for your favorite breakfast toppings. (Don’t be shy to go crazy, bestie.)
And don’t forget, pancakes aren’t just for breakfast. I’m all for digging into a full stack of flapjacks any time of day. Let’s get cooking!
How to Make the Fluffiest Pancakes with Yogurt
Like any good pancake recipe, this one is easy to throw together using a few pantry staple ingredients.
- All-purpose flour for the bulk of the pancake batter.
- Baking powder to give extra lift and levity to your flapjacks.
- Salt to enhance flavor.
- Granulated sugar for a touch of sweetness (leaving plenty of room for syrup to add more!)
- Eggs, which tenderize the batter and add extra leavening power.
- Milk. You can use dairy milk or a plant-based alternative like almond, soy, or oat milk.
- Vanilla extract for a hint of warmth.
- And last but certainly not least, plain Greek yogurt. This adds a wonderful tangy flavor and rich thickness to your pancakes. You can use flavored yogurt if you like, but I’d start with plain just so you know how the flavor comes through before experimenting with the funkier varieties.
To mix up your batter, combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients separately. I like to use a large glass measuring cup to mix the wet ingredients to avoid dirtying an extra dish.
Finally, mix the two sets of ingredients together until just combined. The batter will be thick and lumpy; that’s normal…desirable, even.
Topping Ideas for Fluffy Yogurt Pancakes
These pancakes are not too sweet, which makes them the perfect base recipe for a range of tasty toppings. Some of my favorite ways to decorate a stack of yogurt pancakes include:
- Fresh berries for natural sweetness and beautiful color.
- An extra dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche for more tang and creaminess.
- A drizzle of maple syrup or honey for that classic pancake flavor and presentation.
- Go savory with a sprinkle of your favorite seasoning blend or spicy condiments like harissa or chile crisp!
The flavor possibilities are truly endless when you’re serving up a tall stack of these perfectly fluffy pancakes with yogurt.
What Kind of Yogurt is Best
I find that plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt makes perfectly fluffy pancakes that are firm, thick, and a bit tart.
However, you can have fun experimenting with other yogurt flavors too. Fruity strawberry or raspberry yogurt, for example, would sweeten up your pancakes and give them a rosy hue.
While you can can also use regular yogurt (not Greek), you should know that it’s more watery. This means that your pancakes may not come out quite as thick and fluffy as they would if you had used Greek yogurt.
How to Cook Pancakes for Maximum Fluffiness
If you’re all about light, airy and fluffy pancakes, there are a few tricks to perfecting golden brown flapjacks with plenty of lift:
- Use a flat, heavy-bottomed skillet or griddle. Cast iron works especially well.
- Lightly grease the cooking surface with nonstick spray. You don’t need a thick layer of oil.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. If your pan is too hot, your pancakes will burn before they cook all the way through. When you add the batter to the skillet, there should be some audible sizzling but no smoke.
- Add a ladle full of batter to the skillet and gently spread it into a neat circle with the bottom of your ladle. This batter is especially thick, so it won’t run on its own.
- Cook the pancake on the first side until they’ve visibly risen and there are bubbles across the surface.
- Use a thin spatula (preferably metal) to quickly flip the pancake.
- The second side only needs 30 seconds to a minute to cook all the way through.
- Serve them up hot!
More Pancake Recipes
The link below is an affiliate link. This means that if you choose to purchase using it, I will receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). These small commissions help keep Chocolates & Chai going. Thank you.
Luckily, it doesn’t take much equipment to make perfect pancakes. It is however a lovely feeling to have all the right equipment. Here are a few little things that might make your pancake-making experience just that much sweeter.
- Silver Dollar Pancake Pan – if you want your pancakes to all look exactly the same.
- Zwilling J.A. Henckels Marquina Non-Stick Frying Pan – a good pan is crucial to properly cooking pancakes, and this one is sure to please.
If you like what I’m doing here, and you want to help, why not go ahead and become a Patron? You can support Chocolates & Chai for as little as the price of a cup of coffee!
Whether you dig into a stack of fluffy yogurt pancakes for a special occasion brunch or enjoy this comforting breakfast for dinner on a chilly night, you can’t go wrong with this elegant, tangy, and light-as-air pancake recipe.
If you happen to make it, drop me a comment and let me know how you liked it!Print
Fluffy yogurt pancakes are made using Greek yogurt. They’re a bit tangy, a bit sweet, and incredibly light and airy for a delicious breakfast treat!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Toppings: maple syrup, berries
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, vanilla, and egg until smooth. Fold the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients until just combined. The batter will be thick and lumpy.
3. Grease a large skillet or griddle with non-stick spray and heat over medium-low heat. Use a ¼ measuring cup or a ladle to pour portions of batter into the hot skillet. Spread the batter out a bit into a circle in the pan.
4. Cook until golden brown on the bottom and bubbles dot the surface of the pancake. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute, until golden on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter and serve hot.
- Plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt results in pancakes that are firm, thick, and a bit tart.
- If you’re looking to maximise fluffiness, make sure to read the post above for all the tips and tricks you need.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: yogurt pancakes, fluffy yogurt pancakes, fluffy Greek yogurt pancakes, Greek yoghurt pancakes, yogurt flapjacks