The Celeste Strawberry Pie recipe tastes similar to how it felt beating the game…epic. Amazing. Cathartic. An easy latticed pie crust, paired with a tangy strawberry filling, make for a delicious summer pie very worthy of the classic game.
What is the Celeste strawberry pie?
For the uninitiated, Celeste is a 2018 platforming game – it’s often hailed as one of the best games of 2018, and its soundtrack is somewhat legendary at this point. And there are several reasons for this: Firstly, it was a fantastic game. Secondly, it was a brutally difficult game. And that soundtrack…*chef’s kiss*.
One of the items you can collect in the game are strawberries – they don’t serve any real purpose, they’re just there for a little added challenge. If you make it to the Epilogue of the game, Madeleine (the main character) bakes a strawberry pie. The Collector’s Edition of the game includes a small recipe card with a recipe for the Strawberry Pie from Celeste.
I loved the game (except for when it made me hate it), and I wanted to show my support (several years late) by baking and sharing the pie with you. This is not a sponsored post, I’m just a fan. Recipe credit goes to Matt Makes Games, the developer behind Celeste.
There are two components to this pie recipe – the pie crust, and the strawberry filling. All the ingredient are fairly standard for a strawberry pie recipe. Here are the key ingredients:
For the pie dough
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
For the strawberry filling
- Strawberries – for obvious reason, get the freshest most fantastic strawberries you can find for this recipe
- Lemon juice
Making this strawberry pie is fairly simple, and falls into three basic sections:
1. Prepare the pie dough
Mix all the ingredients together until you can form a dough, divide the dough into two discs, and refrigerate. Using a stand mixer makes this step a lot quicker!
2. Prepare the strawberry filling
Mix everything together in at-once to create the filling, and set aside so it has a little time to thicken.
3. Baking the strawberry pie
This section involves preparing the pie dish, pouring in the pie filling, and creating a lattice on top using more dough. The assembled pie crust is treated with an egg wash before baking. (It’ll need a few hours to cool before being ready to eat too. But that wait is worth it!)
Tips & tricks
- These measurements are based on a standard 9-inch pie dish, using an extra-deep pie dish will result in a slightly different appearance.
- If you feel like using store-bought dough, that’s totally fine. Just make sure to get enough for the top and bottom layers of the crust!
- For a cleaner-looking presentation, you can trim the dough overhang around the pie before baking. Or, for a more rustic look, don’t bother, or crinkle the ends. (I’ve trimmed in these photos as I’m doing my best to replicate the pie from the game, Celeste.)
- Once the baked strawberry pie has cooled completely, warm it up in a 350-degree F oven for 3-5 minutes to serve. You can add strawberry ice cream and whipped cream for extra deliciousness. But you can really mix this up however you like!
Other pie recipes to try
The link below is an affiliate link. This means that if you choose to purchase using it, I will receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). These small commissions help keep Chocolates & Chai going. Thank you.
And that’s it, bestie! Have you played Celeste? Or have you made the Celeste Strawberry Pie recipe? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below.Print
The Celeste Strawberry Pie recipe is both a beautiful and delicious homemade dessert for pie lovers! This summer dessert is something to enjoy with your best friends!
This recipe has been (barely) adapted from the Celeste Collector’s Edition.
For the dough
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 sticks butter, cubed, chilled
- ½ cup ice water
For the strawberry filling
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries (around 40 berries), hulled, halved
- ⅔ cup white granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Honey, to taste
Making the dough
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the chilled butter pieces into the bowl until pea-sized pieces form.
- Mix in the ice water, a few tablespoons at a time until dough begins to form. (You may not need to use all the water!)
- Split the formed dough in half, and flatten into two equal discs. Wrap each out tightly with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Making the strawberry filling
Mix hulled strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
Assembling & baking strawberry pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out each chilled pie dough disc into 12-inch circles. Use one dough circle as the bottom crust by carefully putting it into your pie dish. Cut the other circle into one-inch strips to use for the lattice pie crust top. Chill both layers in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Pour the prepared strawberry filling into the pie dish. Arrange the lattice strips across the top of the filling. Make sure to fuse the strips into the crust by pressing firmly wherever they meet (across the edges!). Chill for 10 minutes.
- Brush the pie crust with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake on the lowest oven rack for 20 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue baking for one hour, until the filling is bubbly and the pie crust, golden-brown. Remove from oven. Drizzle with a little honey, and allow to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy! (Ideally while listening to the Celeste soundtrack)
- These measurements are based on a standard 9-inch pie dish.
- If you use store-bought dough, make sure to get enough for the top and bottom layers of the crust!
- For a cleaner-looking presentation, trim the dough overhang around the pie before baking. Or, for a more rustic look, don’t bother.
- After the baked strawberry pie has cooled completely, warm it up in a 350-degree F oven for 3-5 minutes. You can add strawberry ice cream and whipped cream for extra deliciousness.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: celeste strawberry pie recipe, celeste strawberry pie, strawberry pie recipe, strawberry pie