Moist-centred, crinkly-topped, and fudgy-deliciousness is really the only way to describe this wonderfully easy recipe for olive oil brownies. Oh, and chocolate-y! That part is kinda important too.
Chocolate brownies are quite possibly one of the culinary world’s greatest accomplishments. There, I said it! Sure, sous vide is cool. But I’ll take a chocolate chip brownie, thanks. And sure, molecular gastronomy is trendy. But it’ll never be a family favourite like these easy-to-make, fudgy, olive oil brownies.
Okay, I’m kidding around a little bit. But brownies are really one of my favourite desserts. And it’s not just because they’re delicious little chocolate bombs. It’s because they’re quick, easy, and accessible to most people. A chocolate cake is great, but not everyone has the time and the confidence to make and decorate a cake. But brownies? Brownies are a dish where even beginners can feel like pros.
(Though if you’re completely new to cooking and recipes, I’d recommend you start by reading my post on How to Read a Recipe post (…properly).)
What are olive oil brownies?
As the name suggests, olive oil brownies are brownies made using olive oil as the main fat (that is, they typically replace butter). This makes them a favourite dairy-free brownie recipe (more on this later). Flavour-wise, olive oil has fruity, nutty and ever-so-slightly bitter elements to it, and this pairs wonderfully with chocolate. The use of olive oil also results in a rich, fudgy chocolate brownie.
Tips for making the BEST brownies (using olive oil)
- Your brownies will keep cooking for a little while after you take them out of the oven. Trust in the toothpick method. It’s time to remove your brownies from the oven when a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or almost-clean.
- Make sure to use All-Purpose Flour (cake flour will result in something that’s a little too delicate here).
Frequently Asked Questions
Not at all, the flavours found in olive oil actually complement chocolate. The result will be a delectably rich and fudgy chocolate brownie.
You won’t need any fancy artisanal olive oil for this brownie recipe. Your standard everyday extra virgin olive oil is perfect (light is a great option too if richer, darker chocolate-y flavours aren’t your thing).
This recipe actually uses ½ cup of olive oil (and once you’ve made it once, you’ll be making it often…Trust me on this!), so you definitely don’t want to be using up any of the good stuff here (the baking process will compromise much of the quality you’re paying for anyway).
No, this is one of the rare cases where I’d suggest you don’t bother using an electric mixer; a good wooden spoon will serve you well. Flex those brownie batter muscles, bestie!
How to make this a Dairy-Free Chocolate Brownie Recipe
I mentioned earlier that olive oil brownies are a favourite, particularly if you’re looking for dairy-free recipes. There are two small changes you’ll need to make to my recipe if this is the case for you:
- Line in your baking dish with parchment paper, and don’t use any butter to grease it.
- Make sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips.
More easy brownie recipes to check out!
The link below is an affiliate link. This means that if you choose to purchase using it, I will receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). These small commissions help keep Chocolates & Chai going. Thank you.
I used an 8-inch stoneware baking dish to bake these olive oil brownies. If you don’t have one already, I’d recommend them to bake with, and serve food in too!
Have you tried these olive oil brownies yet? Do you like my fish plate (I made it myself at a pottery class I attend a year ago)? Drop me a comment below and let me know what you thought! Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter for all sorts of fun updates. Or just sign up to be a part of my mailing list.
One Year Ago: Cream Puff Swans (Choux Pastry)
Two Years Ago: Baked French Toast
Three Years Ago: Chocolate-Chip BrowniesPrint
This recipe for Olive Oil Brownies is easy to make, and even easier to eat! Rich, fudgy, chocolate brownie lovers rejoice!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F. Prepare an 8-inch square baking dish, either by lining with parchment paper or buttering.
- Mix olive oil, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add in beaten eggs, cocoa powder, flour, and chocolate chips. Fold gently until combined (no streaks of flour should be left visible). Pour batter into the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the dish, or cutting/serving. Enjoy alongside coffee, ice cream, or whipped cream!
I prefer to make this recipe using dark chocolate chips…but you do you, bestie.
Pro Tip: For slightly cakier brownies, add 1 tsp baking powder and bake for 35 minutes.
Pro Tip: You can sprinkle the dough (just prior to baking) with a little sea salt for a little flavour variation.
- Category: Sweets & Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Olive oil brownies, olive oil in brownies, chocolate brownies