A deliciously crispy recipe for homemade Al Baik chicken (fried chicken).
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sriracha, divided
- 1 (approx. 2 1/2 lbs) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Canola oil
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the sriracha. Submerge the chicken pieces into the buttermilk mixture.
- Cover (cling film, a lid, or foil are all fine) and refrigerate overnight.
- Whisk together eggs, water, and the remaining tablespoon of sriracha in a medium bowl. In a separate large bowl, stir together flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, ground cinnamon, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Into a large Dutch oven, pour oil (you want enough that it’s about 2 ½ inches deep), and heat to 325 F over medium-high.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture, and dip the chicken pieces one by one into the egg mixture. Dredge the wet chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Dip again in egg mixture, and dredge in flour again, once again shaking off any excess flour.
- Carefully add the breaded chicken to hot oil, and fry until golden brown and cooked through – around 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain on a wire rack (over paper towels). Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Enjoy your homemade Al Baik chicken!
- I recommend using a cooking thermometer to ensure that you maintain the correct temperature while frying the chicken.
- Let your fried chicken cool on a wire rack instead of a bunch of paper towels to maintain maximum crispiness! If you don’t have a wire rack, just use paper towels…it won’t be the end of the world.
- If you happen to have a deep fryer, you can use that instead of a Dutch oven.
If you want a video, check out my Al Baik Chicken recipe video!
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch & Dinner
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Saudi
Keywords: Al baik chicken, homemade Al Baik Chicken, Al baik fried chicken, fried chicken recipe,