Who is Mrs. Biederhof? And where did she learn to make such delicious blueberry buttermilk pancakes? Questions like this (and more!) aren’t addressed in the blog post that follows. Instead, I’m going to tell you how to make these delicious blueberry pancakes at home. Why? Because they’re delicious. And they’re pretty. And fluffy. And you can never go wrong with blueberry buttermilk pancakes.
I first tried Mrs. Biederhof’s blueberry pancakes at Mildred’s Temple Kitchen, one of my favourite restaurants in Toronto (this isn’t a sponsored post, I just like the restaurant). I won’t lie, it was a love-at-first-bite situation.
So when I found out that their buttermilk pancakes recipe was published in their cookbook, Out to Brunch, I knew I had to try it. And try it I did. Once. Twice. And a gazillion times more! That said, this recipe for blueberry buttermilk pancakes actually requires…wait for it… buttermilk!
Don’t worry. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, I’ve got you covered, bestie. Use my Fluffy, Fluffy Pancakes recipe. And toss in some blueberries. See? I’m always thinking of you, bestie! Or if just blueberries aren’t enough for you, try out my Lemon Mascarpone Pancakes recipe, which uses a delicious mixed berry compote. Or just mix everything together any way you like. You are the master of your kitchen disaster.
It won’t really be a disaster.
I just like making things rhyme. Because rhymes ring like lyrical chimes; dreamlike verses of exposition that reflect complimentary flavours through complimentary sounds. (What? I didn’t say I was good at making everything rhyme!)
But I digress! We were talking about pancakes. Buttermilk pancakes. With blueberries. Blueberry. Buttermilk. Pancakes.
Actually, I’ve covered pretty much everything I had to say about this recipe. So, as always – please comment below, share the recipe, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or old-fashioned email.
Full disclosure: I haven’t just reproduced Mrs. Biederhof’s recipe here (that would be most uncool), this is an adaptation of the original recipe available in the book based on my tastes and preferences. And I think you’ll love it.
- 1 cup Cake Flour (All-Purpose Flour works just fine but will result in something ever-so-slightly less fluffy)
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- Salt, a pinch
- 1 Large Eggs
- 1 Cups Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Butter, for cooking
- ½ cup Blueberries
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs with buttermilk and melted butter separately.
- Barely combine wet and dry ingredients to form a lumpy batter.
- (Optional: I like to let my batter sit for 10-15 minutes.)
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Ladle 1/3 cup of batter on to the pan, and sprinkle with blueberries.
- Flip pancakes when bubbles appear on the surface and edges begin to brown – about 2-3 minutes per side.