Caramelized Banana Pancakes are a lovely way to start your day! A tall stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes with caramelized bananas on top makes for a sweet breakfast treat that’s perfect for Sunday mornings.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Salt, a pinch
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Butter, for cooking
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 ripe bananas (sliced lengthwise)
How to make buttermilk pancakes
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs with buttermilk and melted butter separately.
- Barely combine wet and dry ingredients to form a lumpy batter. Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes. (This is great time to caramelize your bananas!)
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Ladle ⅓ cup of batter on to the pan.
- Flip pancakes when bubbles appear on the surface and edges begin to brown – about 2-3 minutes per side.
How to caramelize bananas
Over a low-medium heat, mix the maple syrup, butter, and brown sugar, stirring gently until the sugar has dissolved, and the mixture is just about bubbling. Add in the sliced bananas, cook until brown and golden, turn and repeat on the other side. Serve warm
Stack up your pancakes (neat tower or messy, up to you!), spoon on some caramelized banana slices. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (and a little more maple syrup if you have a sweet tooth!) or whatever your lovely heart desires.
- Be sure to use ripe, and not overripe, bananas for this recipe.
- Please be careful when caramelizing your bananas, it gets VERY hot.
- Don’t forget to check out the Buttermilk Pancakes with Caramelized Bananas recipe video on YouTube!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk pancakes with caramelized bananas, caramelized banana pancakes, banana pancakes,