Swedish Toast Skagen combines prawns and toast to create a perfect brunch, or an elegant gourmet appetizer for your next special event.
- 6 slices of pumpernickel bread
- Butter, softened, to spread
- 150g small, cooked prawns/shrimp, peeled (5.3 oz)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pepper, a pinch
- 1 teaspoon dill, chopped fine
- 80g caviar (2.8oz)
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped fine
- Lemon wedges, thinly sliced for serving
- Toast the bread, and butter generously.
- Aside from the caviar, 1 tablespoon of chives, and the lemon wedges, mix all ingredients together.
- Allow to marinate for 10-20 minutes before generously spooning on to the toast slices.
- Top with caviar and remaining chives. Serve alongside a lemon wedge.
- Eat away. (And then make it again. And eat it again. You know you want to!)
- If you want to turn these delicious little bite-sized beauties into a big ol’ brunch, everything stays the same…except, instead of using cute triangular cuts of bread, go for a nice big slice so you can really pile on the toppings!
- This is a simple recipe with very few components, as such it makes a difference to use the best quality ingredients that are available to you – for the most authentic skagenrora, opt for a Swedish roe, and a good quality mayonnaise. If you have one nearby, you can pick up some frozen shrimp from Ikea…authentic Swedish shrimp for this Swedish toast!
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Swedish
Keywords: Swedish toast skagen, toast skagen recipe, toast skagen, Swedish prawn toast, toast skagen with pumpernickel bread