Sutlac is a delicious Turkish dessert. It’s creamy, light and has a bubbly golden brown top. This sutlac recipe is like a mix between a thick custard and a rice pudding, creating a beautiful Turkish baked rice pudding.
- 2 liters + 2 tablespoons of milk
- 75g rice
- 25 g wheat starch
- 200 g granulated white sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120 ml heavy cream
- Add 2 liters of milk and the rice to a deep saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil, and then stir intermittently over a low-medium heat.
- Continue cooking for 1-1.5 hours, stirring reguarly so that it does not overflow (don’t let the rice stick to the bottom of the pan!) until the milk is reduced and the rice is fully cooked.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk to the wheat starch and mix well. Add to the already cooked rice mixture, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, salt and cream and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Once the mixture is slightly thickened (but still liquid-y), turn off the stove.
- Divide into ovenproof bowls or ramekins. While dividing into the bowls, mix each time and pour into the bowls so that your rice pudding mixture is evenly distributed.
- Turn on the oven’s upper grill setting only.
- Put your rice pudding in a deep baking dish and add boiling water until it reaches half way up the height of the ramekins. Place on the middle rack of the oven and cook until golden brown to your liking.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, and then chill in the refrigerator. Serve with hazelnuts and love.
Don’t forget to check out the Sutlac video on YouTube!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Turkish
Keywords: sutlac, turkish rice pudding, turkish baked rice pudding, baked rice pudding recipe,