Strawberry shortcake mug cake is a sweet, easy-to-make cake that’s paired with a delicious strawberry whipped cream. Ready in less than 10 minutes!
Strawberry Shortcake in a Mug
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Salt, a pinch
- 1 small strawberry, diced
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 2/3 cup whipped cream
- 4 strawberries, quartered
- 2 tsp white sugar
How to make strawberry shortcake in a mug
- Place butter into your large, microwave safe mug and swirl around the bottom and sides of the mug.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk together. Then add the sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, and whisk until well-combined. Add the diced strawberry pieces, ensuring to gently push them into and around the batter.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds. If the batter is still wet, microwave in additional 10 seconds bursts until the batter is dry (the cake should be beginning to pull away from the sides of the mug, as well as be bouncy to the touch).
- Add a dollop of strawberry whipped cream, sit down in your favourite spot, and enjoy!
How to make strawberry whipped cream
- Place your strawberries in a small bowl and sprinkle the sugar on top. Stir until the sugar begins to dissolve, set aside for while preparing mug cake.
- Once mug cake has been prepared, mix the strawberries with whipped cream, being carefully not to crush them in the mixing process (a few streaks of red is artsy…a few more is bold…more than that is an episode of Law & Order.)
- I made this recipe using whipped cream that I already had at home. If you want to use a store-bought whipped cream, that’s totally fine. If you want something a little fancier, check out this White Chocolate Buttercream frosting recipe.
- If you don’t want to add strawberries to your mug cake, it’ll still turn out great (it’ll essentially be a vanilla cake).
- If you want to swap the strawberry out for another fruit, you can do so but just be sure that you’re using something with a similar liquid volume (so that your cake doesn’t become too soggy or end up with dry bits of fruit in it.)
How to plate strawberry shortcake mug cake – The Fancy Way!
Here’s something I do sometimes for fun or impress someone. Remove the cooked mug cake from the mug (be careful doing this, the cake breaks quite easily!), and cut it in half. Cover the top of one half of cut mug cake with half the strawberry whipped cream. Place the other half of the cake on top (sandwiching the strawberry whipped cream). Top with more of the whipped cream. Enjoy like the champion that you are.
(Real talk, bestie. You don’t need to bother making your cake look extra fancy. You’re totally fine taking it out of the microwave, adding a little strawberry whipped cream on top, and digging in!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry shortcake mug cake, mug cake, strawberry mug cake, strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake in a mug