Shakshuka, or shakshouka – eggs baked in a spicy tomato sauce. Does it get any beter? Yes, it does. This vegetarian recipe uses only one skillet!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- Chilli Flakes, to taste
- 650g Crushed Tomatoes (Diced will also work)
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tsp Harissa paste (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 5 Eggs
- Feta cheese, crumbled; for garnish
- Parsley, for garnish
- Coriander, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a medium to large pan over medium heat. Add onions, cook until onions soften.
- Stir in Bell Pepper, and continue to cook until softened. Add garlic. Stir.
- Add cumin, paprika, turmeric, and chilli flakes; mix well.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, harissa paste, and sugar. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium heat in order to reduce the sauce. (Add more chilli flakes and/or harissa paste for a spicier sauce!)
- Create five small divots in the reduced sauce and crack one egg into each. Cover the pan and simmer for 10-15, or until eggs are almost completely cooked. Remove pan from the heat, eggs will continue to cook in the heat of the sauce.
- Garnish with coriander, parsley, and crumbled feta.
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Shakshuka, Shakshouka, Shakshuka, eggs in tomato sauce, shakshooka