Filled with nutritional benefits, savoury lentil pancakes are a great healthy breakfast to start the day. They’re egg-free, making them a perfect pancake alternative for those with egg allergies…oh, and they’re delicious too!
- 1 cup red lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion, chopped roughly
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Wash and rinse lentils under running water until the water is not cloudy anymore.
- Soak lentils in boiling water for 30 minutes. This will make the lentils tender which, in turn, makes it easier to blend them.
- Drain the soaked lentils, and add them to the blender. Add chopped onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, cumin, and cilantro (set aside a few cilantro leaves for later). Pulse until a smooth paste is formed. (This is your lentil pancake batter!)
- Transfer the puree to a mixing bowl. Add rice flour and the remaining cilantro. Mix well.
- Spread butter on a flat pan over a medium-high heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of pancake batter to the pan and using the back of the spoon shape it into a round pancake shape.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden and crispy. Enjoy!
- When you’re washing your lentils, make sure to be thorough by scooping up handfuls of lentils and scrubbing them in your palm to clean.
- A little hack to get even pancakes is to use a ¼ cup scoop to spoon your pancake batter into the pan. That way your pancakes will mostly be around the same size.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: savory lentil pancakes, lentil pancakes, savoury lentil pancakes,