Put a spin on your favorite brunch with this Savory French Toast recipe. Topped with seared garlicy mushrooms and thyme, this herby, vegetarian breakfast recipe is always a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ¾-inch thick slices white bread, such as brioche or challah
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, yolks, milk, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and a pinch of salt and sear until golden brown on all sides. Move the mushrooms to one side of the skillet.
- While the mushrooms cook, dip both sides of the bread slices in the egg mixture. Let them soak for 20-30 seconds per side.
- Push the mushrooms to one side of the skillet. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the empty side of the skillet. Place the toast into the skillet and cook over medium heat until golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Plate and share the love!
- Top with a fried egg for some yolk-y goodness if you’re looking for a little extra indulgence.
- If you’re working in batches, keep the finished toast warm in a 350°F oven until ready to serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: savory french toast, savory french toast with garlicky mushrooms, mushroom french toast,