Recipe for Perfect French Toast with crispy edges, a custardy middle, a berry compote, with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, and a sprinkling of icing sugar.
For the French Toast
- Stale Baguette, cut into 1-1 ½ inch thick slices
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Unsalted butter, for cooking
- Icing Sugar, for dusting
- Pure Maple Syrup, for deliciousness
For the Berry Compote
- ¼ cup Mixed Berries
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
For the French Toast:
- (Optional) Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix eggs, half-and-half, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey in a small flat bottomed dish.
- Soak baguette slices in the batter (depending on the thickness of your bread and size of your dish, 30 seconds to 1min 30 seconds per side). Remove and keep aside.
- Heat pan to low-medium heat, and coat with butter. Cook the soaked bread for 1-3 minutes per side.
- (Optional) Bake the cooked slices in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, dressing with icing sugar, maple syrup, and berry compote.
For the Berry Compote:
- Mix all the ingredients over medium heat, stirring regularly until the mixture reduces to the consistency / flavour you like. (I like mine to reduce a lot as I prefer strong deep flavours, but you do you bestie!)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Perfect French Toast, Double Cooked French Toast, Oven French Toast, french toast recipe