This decadent Nutella & Dark Chocolate Stuffed French Toast is what dreams are made of! A berry compote takes it from Heavenly to a whole new level. (Good thing it’s super easy to make to!)
- Mix the berries and white sugar in a ¼ cup of water, and leave the mixture to simmer (stirring occasionally) over a low-medium heat. Once the mixture has reduced slightly, lightly mash with a fork.
- Whisk the egg, milk, and vanilla extract together and pour into a large flat dish. Spread 2-3tbsp of Nutella on one slice of bread, then place the two bars of dark chocolate towards the centre of the spread (they’ll melt down to create pockets of gooey deliciousness in the finished dish); use the remaining slice of bread to create a sandwich.
- Soak each side of your newly formed sandwich in the egg/milk/vanilla batter for 1-2 minutes (depending on how quickly it absorbs).
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, add the sandwich and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Once golden, remove the sandwich and slice in half.
- Plate, drizzle on the berry compote, and dust with icing sugar to finish. (Optional: Pour on a little maple syrup)
If you don’t have access to brioche or challah bread, potato bread works great too! Regular white sandwich bread works okay, but it doesn’t have quite the same flavour/texture.
Pro Tip: Don’t go crazy when mashing the berry compote. You want to preserve some of that wonderful berry texture.
Pro Tip: Drizzling on a little maple syrup is a great way to ramp up the sweetness!
Make-Ahead: You can make the batter the night before and refrigerate it.
Milk Substitutions: Although, this doesn’t require milk with a specific fat content, I find best results from from 3% or half-and-half. However, you should be fine substituting with your milk of choice!
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Nutella & Dark Chocolate Stuffed French Toast, Stuffed French Toast, Nutella French Toast, Dark Chocolate French Toast, Nutella Stuffed French Toast