Merguez Shakshuka features just-set eggs simmered in a rich tomato sauce with creamy feta cheese and fresh parsley. Add this savory, meaty brunch recipe to your routine and your friends will thank you!
- 1 pound merguez sausage
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- Fresh parsley for serving
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Crumble in the sausage and cook until browned, breaking it unto smaller pieces as you cook. Remove from the skillet. Pour out all but 1-2 tablespoons of grease.
2. Add the onion to the skillet over medium heat and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 1-2 more minutes, until fragrant.
3. Return the sausage to the skillet and pour in both cans of tomatoes and their juice. Stir, scraping up the bottom as you go. Bring to a simmer.
4. Make 6 wells in the tomato sauce with your spoon and gently crack an egg into each well. Sprinkle the top with feta. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 5-8 minutes, until the desired doneness.
5. Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: mergeuz shakshuka shakshukah with merguez sausage, merguez shakshouka