Mahalabia (aka Muhallebi) is an easy Middle Eastern Milk Pudding that comes together quickly using just a handful of ingredients. It’s a perfect make-ahead dessert!
For the mahalabia
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons wheat starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the garnish
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- Rose petals
- Add the milk, sugar, flour, wheat starch and egg yolk to a pot. Stir together until well mixed.
- Move the pot on to a medium heat, pour in the whipping cream and vanilla extract. Whisk the muhalabia mixture over the heat until a smooth consistency and pudding-like texture is achieved, approximately 10 minutes.
- Scoop the mahalabia pudding into bowls. Refrigerate for at least two hours (ideally, four or overnight). Garnish using pistachios and rose petals. Enjoy!
There are a lot of variations available for mahalabia recipes. From something as simple as changing the nuts and presentation to changing the type of milk or thickener used. If you’re interested in any of those details, everything is in the full written post (check the Tips and Variation Ideas sections)!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: mahalabia, Muhallebi, middle eastern milk pudding