Lemon ricotta pancakes are a tasty, elevated take on brunch. These lemon ricotta pancakes are dressed up with lemon curd and a blueberry compote!
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup ricotta (whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (plus additional butter for cooking with)
- Lemon curd, for topping
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the sugar, and grate the zest of the lemon into it. Mix gently. Add the vanilla extract and then whisk together. Add the eggs and whisk until its broken down and foamy.
- Follow with buttermilk, ricotta, and melted butter. Stir together until mixed completely.
- Add the dry ingredients bowl into the wet ingredients bowl – mix gently, being careful to not overmix your batter. Set your pancake batter (you can refrigerate) aside while preparing your blueberry compote.
- In small pot, over medium heat, simmer 1 cup of blueberries with the maple syrup, water, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar. Stir occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining blueberries and mix into the already warm compote. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, the mixture will continue to thicken as it cools!
Cooking the pancakes
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add some butter (be generous! Butter is your friend.). Using a ¼ cup scoop, add a dollop of the pancake batter. Cook until the bottom reaches a golden-brown colour, and air bubbles reach the top, 2-3 minutes. Flip gently, and cook until the other side is also golden brown, 1-2 minutes more.
- Repeat with the remaining batter (remember to add more butter to your pan as needed!).
- Serve warm, with a slather of lemon curd, and blueberry compote on top. Enjoy!
Things to be careful about
- Don’t overmix your batter
- Let your batter rest
- Full-fat buttermilk and ricotta cheese (if you please!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon ricotta pancakes, lemon pancakes,