An easy and delicious recipe for lemon blueberry scones with tips to make perfect scones every time!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter, cut into very small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh
- a few additional tablespoons of heavy cream (for brushing the tops)
- Brown sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter. And mix ingredients using an electric mixer until fine crumbs form.
- Set the mixer to low, add the egg, and then gradually add the heavy cream. Mix until a thick, stiff dough is formed.
- Add the blueberries and mix until the blueberries are just incorporated into the dough. (It’s okay if some of them break!)
- Flour your hands and a work surface.
- Place dough onto the floured work surface. Roll into a rectangle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles; pull the triangles apart from each other and put on a baking sheet. Brush with heavy cream, and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown, and firm to the touch. Sprinkle again with brown sugar for a little extra crunch. Your lemon blueberry scones are ready to eat. Enjoy warm!
- Can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
- Using parchment paper or a baking mat will help to prevent burning the bottoms of your scones.
- For lighter scones, be sure to keep the butter as cold as possible throughout the process. You can even stick the dough in the fridge for a few minutes if it starts to become warm/soft. I tend to only start my oven’s pre-heating phase once I’m done preparing the dough, and during this time, I let the dough chill in the fridge.
- I used regular lemons for this recipe, but if you’re fancier than me, feel free to use Meyer Lemons too. (Just make sure to tell everyone that you’re using Meyer lemons…otherwise, it doesn’t count!)
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Lemon Blueberry Scones, Lemon blueberry scone recipe, Lemon and blueberry scones, how to make lemon blueberry scones), recipe for lemon blueberry scones