Lemon Blueberry French Toast is an indulgent breakfast treat! Ricotta stuffed French toast, topped with a rich blueberry compote.
For the blueberry compote
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
For the cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the French toast
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 16–18 slices bread
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
Make the blueberry compote
- In small pot, over medium heat, simmer 1 cup of blueberries with the maple syrup, water, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar. Stir occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining blueberries and mix into the already warm compote. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, the mixture will continue to thicken as it cools!
Make the cream cheese filling
Using a whisk or hand mixer on low speed, stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and lemon juice until well blended and spreadable. Set aside.
Make the French toast
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract until well blended. Set aside.
- Lay out the bread slices on a large, flat, clean surface (I use baking pans). Spread one tablespoon of the cream cheese filling on top of each slice of bread.
- Drizzle one tablespoon of the blueberry compote over half of the slices. Top each blueberry bread slice with a non-blueberry slice (with the filling side facing inwards and press the two pieces together to create a sandwich).
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat with enough butter to lightly coat the pan.
- Re-stir the egg mixture if needed, dip each side of one sandwich in the mixture.
- Cook sandwich for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown, then flip and cook for 3-5 minutes on the other side until browned. Repeat with the other lemon blueberry cream cheese sandwiches, adding additional butter to the pan when necessary.
- Top with more blueberry compote and a little powdered sugar. Enjoy!
When preparing the sandwiches
Depending on the size of your sliced bread, you may need more than one tablespoon of the cream cheese to spread.
When dipping the sandwiches
Depending on your bread – how stale it is, and how thick it is, you may need to dip quickly or let the bread soak up the mixture a bit more, just don’t let your bread get so soggy that it can no longer hold its shape).
When cooking the Lemon Blueberry Stuffed French toast
Be sure to use a low heat to cook the French toast as it allows the cream cheese to get nice and melty, without burning the toast. You can cook the toast quicker with a higher heat, but the cream cheese filling will likely not warm much.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon blueberry french toast, lemon blueberry stuffed french toast, ricotta stuffed french toast,