Learn how to make delicious French crepes with tips to ensure you get perfect crepes every time!
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt, a pinch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (or 3 tbsp, if you want a little extra crisp)
- Blend the eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract together until smooth and frothy. Add in flour and salt, and blend until just combined (if you’re using an electric blender, the pulse option is ideal for this step). Cover the batter, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Place a medium-sized nonstick pan over medium heat, and brush with butter. Add ¼ cup of batter to the pan, and swirl the pan to evenly coat. Once the edges of your crepe are golden and crisp, and bubbles have begun to form on the surface, it is ready to flip. Usually about 3 minutes. Cook the other side for around 15 seconds, until brown spots begin to appear.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter, making sure to re-coat the pan with butter after each crepe. Serve warm, enjoy!
- Batter can be made one day in advance and refrigerated. Stir gently before cooking.
- Best served immediately. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days in an airtight container. They can be frozen for up to 1 month (though I don’t recommend this as the thawed texture isn’t great.)
- Stacking the cooked crepes atop one another keeps them warm during the cooking process.
- Use a thin spatula to flip the crepes. The thicker the spatula, the harder it is to flip them without tearing.
- You can swap out the milk for half and half, whipping cream (if you want it super rich), or 2% milk. However, I’d steer clear of any lower fat milk.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Crepes, French crepes, how to make French crepes at home