Soft centres, crisp edges, and delicious everythings are what this gingerbread cookie recipe is all about.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt, a pinch
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Mix flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar (low-medium speed if using an electric mixer). Mix in molasses, vanilla, and egg until well combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry flour mixture (low speed if you’re using an electric mixer), until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight (or for a minimum of 4 hours).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough until it’s about a ¼-inch thick. Use your cookie cutters to cut out whatever shape you want! Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper, or a baking mat.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until the edges of the cookies being to brown. Remove from oven, and let cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate! (…then eat!)
Note: This gingerbread dough is probably not sturdy enough to make a gingerbread houses.
Pro Tip – You can freeze gingerbread dough for up to one month. Simply, put the plastic-wrapped dough in a zip-lock bag and freeze. Be sure to thaw the dough overnight in the fridge before you start working with it though.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Gingerbread Cookies for Christmas, gingerbread men, gingerbread moose, how to make, gingerbread recipes