Fluffy Japanese Pancakes (aka. Japanese Souffle Pancakes) are an airy pancake dream. Light, fluffy, and an experience you’ll long to eat again. Time to spark a little joy…one fluffy souffle pancake at a time!
Bowl 1 – Yolk Mixture
- Whisk the egg yolk with the sugar until pale and frothy. Mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture and whisk until incorporated.
Bowl 2 – Meringue
Whip the eggs white using an electric mixer (or a tireless whisking arm) until pale and frothy, begin adding the in sugar in batches until a glossy meringue is formed. You want stiff-ish peaks, not STIFF-peaks.
- Whisk 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk mixture until completely incorporated. Add half of the remaining meringue and mix delicately. Add the remaining meringue and fold into the mixture using a spatula – be careful not to deflate the batter.
- Heat a large non-stick pan (with a lid) over low heat. Add a very small drizzle of oil. Using ¼ cup scoops, scoop the batter into the pan. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add another ¼ cup of batter on top of the pancake already cooking. Cover and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Flip the pancake…EVER. SO. GENTLY! Cover and cook for 4-5 more minutes until done. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve!
- Getting these to be perfect is honestly a little bit finicky. If it doesn’t work out for you the first time, don’t lose heart. It takes time and a little patience to get these Fluffy Japanese Pancakes to come out just right!
- I’ve seen tips online suggesting you add a tablespoon of water to your pan to add even more moisture to the pancakes. I only tried this once, but personally didn’t see a difference.
- I cook these one pancake at a time in a large pan. In Japan, they’re often cooked on a griddle with a lid. Either option is fine.
- You can use a ring mold if you want to ensure an thickness and shape. I personally like the asymmetry that comes from working without a mold!
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Fluffy Japanese Pancakes, Souffle Pancakes, Japanese Souffle Pancakes, Japanese Pancakes