Chocolate Orange Madeleines make for a delicious spin on the popular French treat!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, honey, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract until a smooth mixture is produced. Whisk the dry ingredients in until just incorporated, and then add the butter, whisking until the mixture is smooth and sticky.
- Gently fold melted chocolate into the mixture until incorporated.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag (that is, if you’re planning to pipe the batter). Otherwise, just cover your bowl with cling film, and let sit at room temperature for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat madeleine pan with butter and dust with flour, tapping out any excess. Pipe or spoon (it doesn’t hugely affect the shape of the madeleine) the batter into the pan, filling 2/3 of each madeleine well. Bake for 8-10, until edges are browned slightly, and the body springs back when pressed lightly.
- Tap to release the madeleines. Allow a few minutes to cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar. Devour.
- Madeleines are best eaten fresh. However, they can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
- The batter can be refrigerated for 3-4 days before baking (I don’t do this myself, but I’m told by many experienced people that it’s okay to do).
- If you’re using a mini madeleine pan, you’ll need to reduce the baking time to approximately 5 minutes.
- Freeze the madeleine pan before piping the batter into it, as the colder pan will help to achieve a taller hump.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Chocolate Orange Madeleines, chocolate madeleines, orange madeleines, how to make madeleines, recipe for chocolate madeleines