My take on the Chaliapin Steak recipe presented in Shokugeki no Soma – quick, easy, cheap (!) and delicious!
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Steaks, boneless
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Sriracha, or to taste
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2tbsp Unsalted Butter, for cooking
- Chives, chopped, for garnish
- Score your steaks with a grid pattern.
- Use a meat tenderiser or the back of a heavy knife to tenderise your steaks – make sure to give them a few good thwacks!
- Cover the top and the bottom of the steaks using the chopped onions. Cover with cling film, and let them rest for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the steak; season and cook the steaks. Remove steaks and lay to rest when done. Do not clean the pan once the steaks are done.
- In the same pan, cook onions with 1 tbsp butter. Cook over a medium heat until onions are browning. Add soy sauce, sriracha, balsamic vinegar, and honey; mix well. Cook until onions are completely browned and softened (Congratulations! You’ve just caramelised onions!).
- Spread caramelised onions over the steak, and garnish with chives.
In the anime, the steak is served with pickled plum rice. I’ve opted to go with a pack of “Parisian-style Vegetables”. Potato starch is added to the onions while they’re being cooked as well, do this if you want to thicken your sauce! Pair the steak with whatever your heart desires. Except, toffee. Never pair steak and toffee together.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Lunch & Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Chaliapin Steak, Shaliapin steak, Chaliapin Steak-don, Shokugeki no soma, Food Wars, Food wars chaliapin steak, food wars steak, chaliapin steak recipe