Imagine this – a spicy sea of tomato sauce; five perfectly poached eggs floating on the surface; and crumbled feta cheese scattered on top. Does it get any better? Yes. Yes, it does. This is a one-skillet recipe, and is vegetarian too.
Before we continue, let me clear something up. Contrary to what you may guess, shakshuka is not something you say when the person next to you sneezes! Shakshuka, or shakshouka, is a traditional North African dish popular across the Middle East. There’s a warmth to cooking traditional recipes. You’re recreating a part of history; tasting remnants of flavours deeply rooted in the past.
There’s also a warmth to this dish. And by warmth, I mean ‘heat’. It’s spicy. Now, in case you’re a litigious sort, I feel obliged to tell you to adapt the recipe to your tastes. If you like things on the milder side, reduce the amount of harissa. If you’re looking to experience the taste of eggs poached in a fiery tomato-y hell, go crazy – add a few extra tablespoons (more chilli flakes too, yeah!). What I’m saying, is I want you to do you, boo.
That said, I should say that this isn’t a completely traditional Shakshuka recipe. I’ve made a few little additions in the form of turmeric (which is magical and adds a warmer hue to the colour), harissa (as opposed to just chilli powder), and the crumbled feta cheese (because, crumbled feta cheese).
By the way, if you’re here because you like breakfast / brunch / whathaveyou egg recipes, make sure to check out Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon.
As always, if you like this recipe or have any problems with it, comment below and let me know. Share the post as much as you like, and be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest for updates whenever there’s a new post.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- Chilli Flakes, to taste
- 650g Crushed Tomatoes (Diced will also work)
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tsp Harissa paste (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 5 Eggs
- Feta cheese, crumbled; for garnish
- Parsley, for garnish
- Coriander, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a medium to large pan over medium heat. Add onions, cook until onions soften.
- Stir in Bell Pepper, and continue to cook until softened. Add garlic. Stir.
- Add cumin, paprika, turmeric, and chilli flakes; mix well.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, harissa paste, and sugar. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium heat in order to reduce the sauce. (Add more chilli flakes and/or harissa paste for a spicier sauce!)
- Create five small divots in the reduced sauce and crack one egg into each. Cover the pan and simmer for 10-15, or until eggs are almost completely cooked. Remove pan from the heat, eggs will continue to cook in the heat of the sauce.
- Garnish with coriander, parsley, and crumbled feta.